Greetings, my name is Sam Barnes and I’m a web project management addict. I’m so passionate about digital project management I can often be found making an unwitting victim’s ears bleed within ten minutes as I hammer home my thoughts on running digital projects.
Since launching the blog in 2009 I’ve had the pleasure of meeting a whole load of lovely people and this has led to the following work:
- Keynote speaker at Happy Cog’s Digital Project Management Summit, Austin 2014.
- Published in the Smashing Magazine eBook, Clients: Friends You Never Had.
- Speaker at DPM:UK, Manchester 2014.
- Speaker at Happy Cog’s Digital Project Management Summit, Philadelphia 2013.
- Speaker at the Digital Project Management Workshop, London, 2013.
- Writing several articles for Smashing Magazine.
- Published in the Smashing Magazine eBook, Successful Freelancing.
- Chapter published in the Gower Handbook of People in Project Management.
- Published contributions in the PMI PM Network magazine.
- Writing for Think Vitamin.
- Interviewed by New Media Age magazine.
- Part of a SXSW panel submission with Senior PMs from Happy Cog and Headscape.
- Featured several times on the Boagworld Podcast
I’m currently UK-based and working as the Development Team Manager at GPL.
Before this I spent almost two years at GPL as a Digital Project Manager and many other years deep down in the trenches of funky digital agencies, such as Volume, Rawnet and 3seven9, as a front-end developer, managing digital accounts for the likes of Nokia and managing the delivery of web projects and applications for clients such as BBC, Dell and Oracle.
Whether managing small to medium size websites, mobile apps and websites or large web applications – I’m pretty sure any digital project management causes your hair to fall out.
Having managed so many digital projects and expressed my opinions, perhaps a little too passionately at times, I thought it was time to start writing them down and publishing them online to see what others thought of my ramblings – to my pleasant surprise, some people actually seemed remotely interested and thesambarnes.com was officially born.
The original aim of the blog is the same as it is now, to write about digital project management from a ‘real world’ perspective, to talk about what it’s really like on the front-lines of a digital agency and to crowbar in as many Star Wars references as possible into all posts.
As well as a being a digital project management freak, I am also a self-confessed web junkie and when my Internet connection goes down I can often be found adopting the foetal position, whimpering in the corner of the room, a truly broken man, and unable to answer any questions without Google.
Want the full life story? If so, go make a nice cup of tea and then read the long version.
Or take a look at some of the digital projects I’ve worked on.